Thank You To My Sponsors

World Classic Baits

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Fishing the Margins 9-14-12 to 9-16-12

Beautiful Sunset Friday Night
9-14-12 My first fishing report, a camping trip Brooke and I had planned in Beaumont, TX to fish for commons and buffalo.  We were hoping the weather was starting to cool here, but unfortunately it hadn't.  We arrived about 9pm on Friday and set up our camp site.  After setting up our new Coleman Weathermaster 6 Tent, I spodded about 5 spots each of maize and all stock, hoping to get the fish going.  I had been told that 30 yards out was the key, so that was my mark.  I put my rods out and waited for our friends Justin and Irene to show up, and they had brought their friend Russell as well.  Russell was hoping for his first common carp.  They set up and we all went to sleep. It was an uneventful fishing night, but was accompanied by a great sunset. 



Nick's Camp Site and Beautiful View on Saturday
9-15-12 The next morning we awoke and our buddy John came hoping to catch his first buffalo.  Despite his best efforts, the action stayed slow, with no fishing being caught all day.  About 4pm, our buddy Nick showed up to join the action and John was long gone, upset by the jet skiers and wake board boats clouding up the water and the margins.  Nick and I had a chat, and

LESSON LEARNED: he suggested that the stirring up and muddying of the bank would draw fish into the margins to feed on the little bits that were now exposed into the water column. 

Nick used his marker float to mark a bunch of swims.  He decided to fish further down, and I new it would be awhile before I heard from him again.  
Russell with his new PB 14lb common

 I decided to set up one rod in the margins and left the other two in the baited area I had already established.  Justin was fishing two rods and had one in the margin, and one about 30 yards out.  He and I had gotten the same advice on where to fish and bait.  About 10pm, Justin gets a run.  Russell picks up the rod and reels in a nice 14lb common.  Not a bad first carp, and he caught it on the margin rod.  During the night I also managed to pick up two more commons, a 17lber and a 15lber, though I was too tired to get pictures.  Amazingly enough, these were also caught on my margin rod.  Can you say lesson learned?  From now on, I'm always putting one of my three rods in the margins. 


Nick's 30lb Smallmouth Buffalo, a new PB!
9-16-12 As morning came, the fish shut off.  We could see some fish coming to the surface, but roughly 150 to 200 yards out from the bank.  I decided to walk down the bank and check on Nick, to see how he made out.  Nick is a UK carp angler that has caught amazing fish all around the world.  However, he had not yet caught a smallmouth buffalo.  This was a personal goal that was very short lived.  That night, Nick established a new PB Buffalo at 30lbs!  A great fish and a PB that should take awhile to break.  I was ecstatic for him!  The rest of the trip proved to be very uneventful fish wise.  All of us could feel that it was going to be a slow day, and it was starting to get hot fast.  We decided to call it a day and Brooke and I packed up about 11AM and headed home.  All in all it was a great camping/fishing trip with some good fish caught and a lot of friendly fun. 

What do you think about fishing in the margins?  Do you agree?  Leave your comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment